the domestic sphere

my dalliances with all things domestic






5/02/2002



No Idle Hands



I stumbled across a great book the other day at the library, No Idle Hands: The Social History of American Knitting, by Anne L. Macdonald (Ballantine Books, 1988). I haven't checked to see if it is still in press, but I doubt it... sort of a limited target audience, but boy, am I it! A social history of women -- and knitting! How domestic sphere can you get!

I've just started reading, but already I have a whole new appreciation for sock knitting (which I confess, was an area of knitting that I had little interest in). Think about it: with no hand-knitted socks, you were stuck with something woven! Sure a knit hat is nice, but the original knitters in America were busily making socks. Now you know.







posted by kristi at 5/02/2002 06:14:00 AM
Comments: Post a Comment


????????

comments by YACCS

Powered By Blogger TM