the domestic sphere

my dalliances with all things domestic






9/27/2002



beanies, baby!




As I said a few days ago, I am noodling around with a sideways shortrow beanie pattern. The first one, careful readers will note, matches the Haiku sweater I designed for knitty. Both the hat and the sweater were delivered to their brand new recipient, Gracie, born just one week ago.


It was so quick and fun to knit, I whipped up another zebra-striped one for Zozo -- you can't really tell, but it's alternating stripes of black and black/white variegated yarn.


After that I was still into the possibilities of the beanie and started in on a bigger one that would fit an adult. I wanted a more complex striped pattern and also thought I'd see how it would work with stockinette stitch and a garterstitch brim -- it's okay, but the pattern still needs tweaking. Most critically, I thought the two partial skeins of Noro Kureyon I grabbed would be enough. They're not. Plus, I want to change the way the two yarns interact -- I started them at opposite ends, but there was too much sameness in the middle of the hat. I think I'll rip it and try them with a staggered start from the same end.


Once I get the kinks worked out, I'll post the pattern.







posted by kristi at 9/27/2002 12:14:00 PM
Comments: Post a Comment


????????

comments by YACCS

Powered By Blogger TM