the domestic sphere

my dalliances with all things domestic






4/28/2003



sock parade



Ella's feet didn't want to be left out!


The reason that the ribbing of the socks looks different in the third picture is because Zoe wore the first one for 24 hours before I got the second one done. Indeed, after a feverish episode in the night, she was wearing nothing but the sock when she woke in the morning!



I really do like knitting socks. It's true. And when knitting for people with small feet, they go really fast. I tried a few different cast-ons. I think I like toe-up better and I found the shortrow toe easiest for me to work. I don't like picking up those double-wrapped shortrows particularly, but there're only a few of them and it's very satisfying to see the shaping done. I may try a shortrowed garter stitch heel next for extra durability. The Noro "sock" has a reverse Dutch heel flap (my, doesn't that sound arcane!), but I like the shortrowed heel just fine. Also, I made an extra gusset bit on the top of the foot just before the heel, because one pattern I looked at said to. Now I see that this isn't standard. Do you? What sort of toes and heels do you like?



And with all my new Kool-Aid, I fantasize that I will create my own self patterned sock yarn. I have figured out the method, but I don't know if I'll really do it.

Also, has anyone dyed cotton yarns with procion dyes? I've tie-dyed a T-shirt or two in my day, but I wonder about yarn. Can't see why it wouldn't work.







posted by kristi at 4/28/2003 06:27:00 AM
Comments: Post a Comment


????????

comments by YACCS

Powered By Blogger TM