the domestic sphere

my dalliances with all things domestic






5/13/2003



holy cow!



We've been working on house addition/remodeling plans for years. We love our house. It's a 1920's Spanish Colonial Revival in a U shape around a courtyard. Anyway, we've been on again and off again with it for years. I am loathe to mess up what I see as a really good house, yet at the same time I recognize that a) it's falling apart in spots, b) a potty-chair cannot substitute for a second bathroom indefinitely and c) having a little more space would be really, really nice.

After deciding that we REALLY REALLY were not going ahead with the addition anytime soon and we would just fix the stuff that needed fixing, manna fell from the sky and all the sudden, we've actually settled on a builder and he wants to start TOMORROW.

I'm trying not to think about the part where they rip off the walls of my beloved house and indeed there's little time for that as I've got to go through everything in the house, get rid of what we don't need, store what we won't use in 6 months but want to keep and figure out what we will actually need when we go into exile down the street, assuming of course, we can rent the house down the street. Otherwise, we're camping in the livingroom until we find a place.

It's all so sudden! After years of it being a strictly theoretical remodel.

Wonder if I can get the neighbor to take my rose bushes? Must purchase many plastic bins. Too bad you don't actually live nearby as I'm sure many fine items will be looking for new homes.







posted by kristi at 5/13/2003 02:12:00 PM
Comments: Post a Comment


????????

comments by YACCS

Powered By Blogger TM