the domestic sphere

my dalliances with all things domestic






6/01/2003



here we go



Today is moving day. Using the computer without a desk as that's already dismantled. I'm eager to be done with this phase and settled. I will be back soon -- with a dial-up connection for the time being.


Woke up in a cold sweat yesterday thinking that the bathroom design was bad. Got up and did a few drawings. I think we came up with something that got rid of what annoyed me and will work without major revisions.

Here's the deal: A 10' x 13' space. Within this are the master bedroom closet, the other bedroom closet, a linen closet and the bathroom. Hallway is on one side of the 13', window is at the other, so you have to figure out a way to work the closets so the bathroom has hall access and the window. And a bunch of other constraints. Our architect had drawn some angled walls to solve this problem. And there was some weird dead space in the bathroom. Mostly, I felt like the angled walls were out of character for our 1920's house.

I'm sure if I were buying a house already done I'd just accept it warts and all. But given the opportunity to create it from whole cloth, we've put a lot of thought into everything. I think our architect fears our calls. Making an addition to a house is a completely different exercise from designing your dream house. The house itself has dictated so much about what we can do, which makes the whole thing more challenging.


So off into exile with me. Once the move is complete I should have time to devote to some other things. Like even knitting. Zoe designed herself a sweater yesterday. Apparently, drawing sweaters on graph paper is more fun than designing bathrooms! Anyway, a pink tank top with a band of rainbow stripes around the chest. How five! How knittable!






posted by kristi at 6/01/2003 06:17:00 AM
Comments: Post a Comment


????????

comments by YACCS

Powered By Blogger TM