the domestic sphere

my dalliances with all things domestic






7/11/2003



news



I haven't fallen off the face of the planet or anything. Blog posting hasn't been at the top of my list and new Blogger stinks enough to make it less enticing. And I've been busy. If you're still checking in regularly, thanks!


Here's what's new in the world of house remodeling. They've got the second floor addition all framed. Lots of other nuts and bolts stuff, but it's really starting to take shape. An infinite number of decisions to be made, some major, some minor. It's sort of like planning a wedding, only it lasts longer. Yesterday, I had to go choose out the little doohicky that covers the overflow drain on the tub. Also played some paint sample roulette. My best guess from looking at paint chips and bits hidden behind doors and such is that the house was originally that pinkish adobe color with dark brown trim. Now it's classic adobe white with Santa Fe green-blue trim. What color would you paint my house?

Finished the third purse, that was hanging like an albatross around my neck. Remind me not to take on that sort of commission again, please.



Finally, in knitting news... I bought some Kitchen Cotton the other week at the craft store and I also bought one of those little tie-dye kits. Over the long weekend, we tie-dyed some shirts... and the yarn. Came out like this :

Colors are excruciatingly bright just as you'd expect. I always mean to order better colors from Dharmat Trading Co., but I never seem to do it. Anyway, the process works just fine. I dyed the yarn just as you would a T-shirt -- except I didn't throw them in the washer and dryer at the end.


Also, I was struck recently by the generosity of the knitting world. Recently someone asked if the 2 skeins of Lion Brand Imagine that I had on the swaps page was still available. I sent it to her. And in exchange she sent me a sweater's worth of a much nicer yarn. Something from her stash that she felt she would never use. Thanks, Marilyn! You're great!

These sorts of kindnesses seem to happen to me again and again in the knitting world. Knitters, traders, shopowners... magazine moguls... even yarn companies have been so generous with their time, skills and yarn.

No wonder I knit.







posted by kristi at 7/11/2003 06:25:00 AM
Comments: Post a Comment


????????

comments by YACCS

Powered By Blogger TM