the domestic sphere

my dalliances with all things domestic






3/28/2004



grapes without guilt?



It dawned on me yesterday that I still feel vaguely guilty eating grapes. I grew up in the midst of the Cesar Chavez grape boycotts and so we avoided them for some of those years.

Thanks largely to Chavez and his efforts, US grown grapes are now much lower in pesticides than they used to be. Good for us, good for the farm workers. Not that the grape farm workers have any sort of a rosy deal... but US grown grapes make the list of the 10 least pesticide laden crops.

Of course, grapes from Chile (which are the sort available now) make the 10 Worst list for total pesticide load.


Will I ever purchase a grape without feeling guilty somehow?







posted by kristi at 3/28/2004 05:55:00 AM
Comments: Post a Comment


????????

comments by YACCS

Powered By Blogger TM