the domestic sphere

my dalliances with all things domestic






4/27/2004



on a roll.



I feel like I should be out haunting second-hand shops for furniture because I am on a roll.

Early this Sunday, Ella and I were strolling back from the grocery store after buying ingredients to bake a cake because this is one of those things that make sense to a suggestible 3 year old. When better to bake a cake? Anyway, passed by a garage sale getting set up and thought I'd take a look. Now usually, garage sales in our neighborhood consist of little beyond decaying fiberboard bookcases, CD's by bands you'd never want to hear and trashy paperbacks. And old wetsuits. There's always one of those. Anyway, found an old Singer sewing machine (pre-electric!) and managed to get into the garage FULL of stuff and found this. A wrought-iron chandelier with mica shades, wiring in good shape. AND paid 5 bucks for the light fixture and the sewing machine. 5 bucks. Pinch me.


Then, on Monday I went by a local upholstery shop to ask if they knew where I could get twine and webbing to try to fix up the Victorian loveseat that someone had given us. After talking to the guy for a while, I realized I was not cut out for the job, but he came over to the house immediately, picked it up and returned it, good as new (well, not as new, but perfectly functional) 2 hours later for $65. Wow.

Now the livingroom is practically furnished. And I should be out shopping for furniture bargains, because I am clearly on a roll. And I don't need the sewing machine. Let me know if you do.







posted by kristi at 4/27/2004 01:40:00 PM
Comments: Post a Comment


????????

comments by YACCS

Powered By Blogger TM