the domestic sphere

my dalliances with all things domestic






1/30/2005



wine tasting



We've had friends in town (staying right next door) for the last month and we've been having a great time. Last night was their farewell dinner and we decided to do a bit of wine tasting. I have been mocked for drinking cheap wine. I contended that my palate wasn't so sophisticated and that I was loathe to let good wine go bad by not drinking it soon enough.

Anyway, it was decided that we should try wines at different price points to see what we could discern. Understand that some of my guests might have professed a more sophisticated palate than I. I bought three bottles at 3, 10, and 30 dollars. Our guests felt that I hadn't explored possibilities enough and came in with a 90 dollar bottle of wine! On the tasting table (beneath foil wraps and color coded) were: Paul Hobbs 2000, Kenwood Artist Series 1998, Clos du Bois 2001 and Charles Shaw 2002. All California Cabernets for those who care.

After much tasting, interspersed with a lovely meal of Chicken Marsala, Green Beans with Walnuts, and Mache Salad with Chiogga beets and a goat gouda, the votes were in. The five of us told our preferences and guessed prices. There was not a clear winner, but two that were decided to be the favorites. The winners? Paul Hobbs and Two Buck Chuck! (in truth it wasn't even a 3 dollar bottle. Only $1.99.)

So I will happily continue drinking cheap wine.







posted by kristi at 1/30/2005 03:51:00 PM
Comments: Post a Comment


????????

comments by YACCS

Powered By Blogger TM