the domestic sphere

my dalliances with all things domestic






10/19/2006



on designing


step 3: get more yarn.

It's still such a thrill to me that people will give me yarn. I understand, of course, that from a business perspective it's a smart decision for them. Patterns published that use their yarns help them to sell yarn. Still, it's much more like getting presents.

Yarn isn't widgets and yarn companies are not faceless megaliths. These are real people who care genuinely about yarn and knitting and share my enthusiasm for what I am doing. And they are willing to go out of their way to be helpful and supportive. Take the yarns above from Curious Creek, for example, dyed to order and hand delivered by motorcycle messenger (also known as Phil "Mr. Curious Creek" Boncer) despite the crazy schedule they've been on of late. I've also received goodies this week from Crystal Palace, Cascade Yarns and Rowan. I am grateful.


step 4: design, design, design.

So now that I have the goods, what I've been doing looks a lot like this. Apparently when it comes to pattern writing, I am a Luddite. I do use a calculator sometimes, and sometimes I turn on the lights, but other than that, I could pretty much do this in a log cabin, teepee or cave. By rough count, I have designed about 18 of 54 patterns and variants that will be in the book!







posted by kristi at 10/19/2006 12:23:00 PM
Comments: Post a Comment


????????

comments by YACCS

Powered By Blogger TM