the domestic sphere

my dalliances with all things domestic






2/05/2007



what else?


My Q2 deadline for Knitting Patterns for Dummies is February 12. The end of Quarter 2 brings the end of pattern making. I'm on my last pattern chapter now, then I need to assemble my scrap art (rough drafts of all the illustrations used in the chapters) and send them all off. This is a big milestone for me. It's great seeing the book come together. There's still plenty to write, but with these two intensive quarters out of the way, the rest is just explaining my vision of the universe, and well, anyone who knows me knows I can do that at length. There's the "fear of sounding dorky" (is there a greek word for that?), but it's a different kettle of fish.

I am almost certain that as of last week, I have all the yarn I need and nearly all of it in the hands of the knitters in question. I've got several bits and pieces to knit yet myself, but of the hat here, scarf there variety that doesn't make me wake up in the middle of the night.


So in other news, I've been also scrambling to get fundraiser class projects done for my daughters' school. It seems like every school has a fundraising auction these days. The actual event reminds me too much of a high school prom to actually attend (I didn't attend my prom either), but it's easy to sucker me in to a massive art project. So Zoe's class has created a photo montage of the school through their eyes -- after they shot the photos I chopped 2-inch squares (don't worry, I bought a punch!) from over 400 photos and assembled them. A pretty cool effect in the end and a good balance of kid participation. I can now state with some conviction that it is very difficult to get a fourth grader to take a picture of something that is not pretty. However, you can really make a 10-year old boy's day if you tell him he can photograph the bathroom. I haven't photographed the photograph, but when I do, I'll post it.


For Ella's class, I had each of the kids fold and hand dye a dinner plate sized circle of fabric. On the advice of the Empress of Dirt a.k.a. Pioneer Woman with Cellphone, I also had the kids "sign" the quilt with their initials and decorations on smaller circles for the back. After prepping the fabric, I had them write with gel glue (just Elmer's) on the fabric. When it dried, it got dyed. When you wash, the glue comes out forming a fabulous batik-like resist. The kindergarteners enthusiasm for my two colors of gel glue (with sparkles!) got in the way of any sort of minimalist impulses for most, but they are really cool.

After that there was a lot of going around and around in circles with the zig-zag and a miraculously quick quilting job by my machine for hire. If you need something quilted, Al's your man.








posted by kristi at 2/05/2007 06:21:00 PM
Comments: Post a Comment


????????

comments by YACCS

Powered By Blogger TM