the domestic sphere

my dalliances with all things domestic






4/14/2007



lucky


As if I needed further proof that I live an enchanted life, I have just discovered that we have a mockingbird nest in the bouganvillea. Mockingbirds and bouganvillea by themselves are enchanting enough,* though common around here. This makes our third brood of birds this year, as we have had two batches of hummingbirds this year. While the nest itself is hidden, the bouganvillea is visible from almost every room, so we'll be able to watch the action.


*And both smack of Jefferson Middle School for me. Bouganvillea, found in John Steinbeck's The Pearl, was a vocabulary word written on the board in my 7th grade teacher's beautfiful chalkboard hand. A mystical, unknown flower for me at the time. Mockingbirds, of course,remind me always of To Kill a Mockingbird which I clearly remember reading for the first time in 6th grade. And just like the bouganvillea, the bird was completely foreign at the time.






posted by kristi at 4/14/2007 06:26:00 PM
Comments: Post a Comment


????????

comments by YACCS

Powered By Blogger TM